Tuesday, April 23, 2019

Modeling

All the major wood is now in. I have the silicon bronze fasteners, TB3 and gorilla glue in quantity. So I sat, staring at the instructions. My eyes keep going crossed whenever I start reading to many sailing & construction jargon words in a row. Until I can fit all the pieces together in my head with perfect clarity, it makes me hesitant on actual cutting of wood. Shemaya, from the junk rig forums had suggested that I make a model out of project/foam board. And as luck would have it, my wife was trashing a project board from work, the same day I mentioned I was thinking about making a model.

I have all they "plywood" 4x8 pieces cut out, using a 12:1 ratio (1 foot = 1 inch). It gets a bit messy, as while I can do the math, my ruler doesn't have a .41666 mark, so I have to guestimate. This chart has been useful to find the closest fraction (in the .41666 example above, 13/32 if you were curious). I'll have to adjust some measurements a little bit, since the foam board is all 1 thickness, but it should give me a good visualization tool. And I can feel safe, that if I mess it up, I'm not burning a $50 sheet of plywood. As soon as I have some of the components built, I'll post some pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment