Sunday, September 8, 2019

More Hops

Was going to work some more on the boat since my lovely wife is out of town on a work trip. Noticed that another plant was ready to harvest. Had a little friend checking in on the hops.


It produced easily twice as many hops as the other plant, at 3 full and 1 partial 5 gallon buckets. Some of the cones were a full 1"x4". This is a sliding door's screen for scale. 3-4" deep. Going to need to get another screen door, as it probably won't dry quickly enough.

Saturday, September 7, 2019

Sides connected via rub rail

Connected the 2 sides together today. Getting close to having something 3-dimensional. Once they are connected to the floor, it should start getting much easier visualizing how to put together the rest of the puzzle.

Also, I harvested the first hop plant this week. Got about 7 gallons worth. Dehydrating it and vacuum sealing it today.


Tuesday, June 4, 2019

Back to boat building

Today I built the bottom. Laying down parchment paper under all the relevant surfaces to catch any gorilla glue foaming out, I was able to do the glue up single-handed. There is a 1/16" out of alignment over 4' of 3/4 ballast plate on the forward end. I tried correcting it several times, but each time, it over-corrected in a different area. A plane should be able to knock down an excess + the glue squeeze out.

Before dropping the 3/4" plywood which you can see on the left. I took care to put excess gorilla glue in any of the knot-holes, to try to prevent any excess voids:

I had to take apart my diy squat cage to make room for the boat building. All the extra weights came in handy for clamping. The forward 4x8 was slightly raised in the center, so plenty of extra weight there to flatten it:

Thursday, May 30, 2019

Catching up

Haven't posted in a while. Been busy opening the house up for summer. De-winterizing boats. Planting a garden. Building a rack for our kayaks and stand up paddle boards. Training my hop plants. Today, I picked spruce tips for a spruce-tip pale ale, with a Norwegian farm-house yeast (Hornindal Kviek). Planning on brewing tomorrow. Here's what 1 pound of tips looks like:
The tips taste very lemony, and only very faintly has a piney taste in the background. In fact, it is a natural source of vitamin C, and was used by Native Americans to treat scurvy.

Thursday, May 2, 2019

Bow Nailers

Got the hull sides cut apart. Made my bow nailers. Slight confusion, as both the plans and the booklet reference 1x6, but the materials list calls for 1x8. Bought by the material list, so I had plenty of spare layout room. The 2 boards don't quite fit 8 ft on the same side of the board, so you need to lay them on opposite sides. Looked to match the curve of the cut-off pretty well.
When I went to glue it down, following Dave's suggestion to use small chunks of 1/2" plywood as spacers, the curve wasn't quite deep enough. I don't have a plane (yet), so I used a sander with 60 grit to shave a slight bit off each end. Also, you can never have enough clamps when boat building!
Here is the first glue-up done. The nails weren't nearly as soft as I feared. Not quite enough glue squeeze out as I thought I was going to have, so opened up the GluBot's nozzle a bit more. If you are still using the bottle the glue comes from, it is totally worth picking the glubot up.

Spaced the nails 1" from the edge.

 And a picture of the glubot, you can see how squeezing the very soft plastic pushes glue up the tube, meaning you don't need to shake the bottle to get glue down to the tip in a half-empty bottle. The cap is also on a lanyard connected to the cap, so you don't loose it.


Sunday, April 28, 2019

Nailing practice and sides partially cut out

What do you do when the project requires nailing a few thousand nails, and those nails are significantly softer than iron nails, and you haven't driven a nail in 20 years?

Bought the skinniest nails I could find in the bulk selection. 1 lb of #6 drywall nails with annular rings, just like the bronze nails used for the boat. I tried to anneal a nail, but it didn't seem any softer than then rest. After 5 rows and no bent nails, called it good enough. Also, added a few on the far side of the vice, and used a 10 lb barbell weight to practice nailing into thin wood where the weight absorbs the blow of the hammer, allowing the nail to use most of the energy.

I laid out the sides, and cut away the aft and forward ends. Waiting for my wife to help push the 8' cuts through the table saw. Bought a new plywood saw blade for the table saw to help get smooth cuts. Only had the cheap generic blade that came with the saw.




Thursday, April 25, 2019

Boat model done

Well, almost done. I haven't added the rigging to attach the sail to the boat yet. Excuse the extreme mess, boat building generates plenty of it.