Monday, March 25, 2019

Lumber shopping

I went shopping for the (initial) lumber at a local lumber yard. They were asking $52/sheet of Fir AC 1/4" plywood, with no mention of whether it was interior or exterior. Makes me question if it was way overpriced. Home Depot doesn't have anything exterior grade that isn't also pressure treated, and who needs more chemical poisons in their life? Lowes has BCX for $21 in store, so the ability to pick and choose is there. There is 1 more lumber yard in town. Going to request a quote from them tomorrow.

Menard's has it for $24/sheet for radiata pine 1/4" ACX in store, or aspen ACX for a dollar more, but have to special order it. Reading about the radiata pine makes me more inclined towards the aspen if Menard's is where I end up at.

A last option is a custom cabinetry shop that also sells hardwood lumber. Got my Baltic birch plywood (and clear 16' cedar boards, not quite as relevant) for my skin-on-frame kayak build from them, very impressive stuff. They claim it has exterior glue, but I have seen some confusion on whether the 4x8 sizes use exterior grade glue. The kayak has held up very well, but it dries out in between uses and it isn't in direct contact with the water, so maybe not a great comparison.

So many options, from species (Fir/Pine/"Radiata" Pine/Birch (Baltic presumably?)/Aspen), to glues (Exterior required presumably?), to the ability to pick out which pieces I want, makes what should be the easiest part of the build that much harder.

If anyone has any suggestions, I am all ears.

No comments:

Post a Comment